Tomato pie recipe - Midland-Odessa food | Examiner.com
Tomato pie recipe - Midland-Odessa food | Examiner.com: "Tomato pie recipe
* July 12th, 2009 8:36 am CT
Tomato pie is a great way to use fresh tomatoes from the garden or farmers market, and it freezes well, too. This version is sweet and savory with fresh tomato, sweet onion, smoky bacon, creamy cheddar and parmesan cheese. Use a premade pie shell, or try a homemade vodka pie crust
for a melt-in-your-mouth flaky crust. It makes a meal in itself, or serve it as a rich side to grilled chicken, seafood, or beef.
Tomato Pie Recipe
* 4 cups sliced ripe tomatoes
* 1 tsp kosher salt
* 8 rashers bacon
* 1 cup chopped sweet onion
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* fresh ground pepper
* 1 1/4 cups sharp cheddar (white or yellow)
* 3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
* 1/3 cup mayonnaise
* 1/2 tsp. rosemary
* 1/2 tsp. thyme
* 1 tsp sugar
* 1-9” deep dish pie crust
How to Make Tomato Pie
Preheat oven to 350 F
1. Place sliced tomatoes in a colander and sprinkle with the salt; set aside to drain.
2. In a skillet, fry the bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Crumble.
3. Pour off all but 2 TBS of bacon drippings. Reduce heat to low, and in the same skillet cook the onion until caramelized.
4. Add the garlic and cook for an additional two minutes; remove from heat.
5. In a bowl, combine the cheeses.
6. Add the mayonnaise and toss until well mixed.
How to Assemble Tomato Pie
1. Spread half the tomatoes in the pie crust.
2. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the rosemary, thyme, and sugar.
3. Top with the onions and bacon.
4. Layer half the cheese mixture; top with remainder of the tomatoes.
5. Sprinkle with the remaining spices.
6. Spread the remainder of the cheese mixture over the top.
Bake until browned and bubbly—approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Sent using Google Toolbar"