gsp Thoughts From A Diva: Boot Camp

Thoughts From A Diva

Random images and thoughts from a misplaced Minnesota Diva trying to survive in Wisconsin.

Monday, May 31, 2004

Boot Camp

It was November 5, 1985.
 
I flew to Orlando with a few of the other people from MEPS in Portland.  We were all extremely nervous.  I actually sat next to someone I knew.  We hadn't seen each other since we were kids, so it was kind of cool.
 
We were all extremely nervous.
 
When we landed, they separated us - guys and girls went different ways.  They processed our paperwork and got us semi-organized.
 
I would like to tell you what else happened that day, but I have no clue.  It is all one big blur.
 
I remember standing in a big line and getting our uniforms. They had taken our measurements earlier and put them on a card we held in our mouth.  We walked around a room with our duffels held open in front of us.  People just dumped our clothes in our duffels.
 
There isn't a whole lot I remember about Boot Camp.  I do remember a lot of marching.
 
I remember getting up 1/2 hour earlier than everyone else so I could wrap my chest in Ace wraps so I wouldn't bounce all over the place while running.
 
I remember one girl screwing up over and over on purpose because she wanted out.  She got a blanket party. I did not participate.  I was scared shitless.
 
I remember the Chief Petty Officer getting another girl and myself confused all the time because we looked alike.
 
I remember the day it snowed.  In Orlando.  Ice storm and all.  It was so icy, we weren't allowed to drill on the ship.  They were afraid we would hurt ourselves.
 
And I remember the pride on my parents' face when I graduated. 
 

1 Comments:

At 5/31/2004 11:28 AM , Blogger Brent said...

One of the things I remember most in life is receiving some type of honor or whatever, and seeing my parent's beaming faces in the audience or afterward. What a wonderful feeling!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home