gsp Thoughts From A Diva: Joining The Navy

Thoughts From A Diva

Random images and thoughts from a misplaced Minnesota Diva trying to survive in Wisconsin.

Monday, May 31, 2004

Joining The Navy

Since today is Memorial day, I was going to post a picture from my military days, but couldn't find one of myself.  Only of al my buddies.  So, instead of posting a pic, I will just tell about my Navy days.
 
I joined in 1985.  I had spent a semester in college, then moved back to my hometown.  My father was in town for a few days and had been ragging on me about what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.
 
What he didn't know was that I had been spending a lot of my spare time with the Navy recruiter.  Just hanging out with him and enjoying his company.  I don't even remember how we met, but he was a good friend.
 
Finally, I said to him, let me in.  And I went for my physical at MEPS in Portland.  I was scheduled to ship out in 2 weeks.
 
So, the night before I was to leave on the train for Portland, my dad starts ragging on me again.  I simply looked at him and said, "Don't worry about it. I leave for the Navy tomorrow."
 
He was stunned to say the least.  Then he told me that he would be taking me to Portland.  He would not let me ride the train.  I think it was one of the few times my dad was truly proud of me.  Oh, he says he's proud of me all the time, but I know he was proud that day.
 
I guess that was the day he realized I was no longer a little girl.
 
I was 18.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home