gsp Thoughts From A Diva: Memorial Day Post

Thoughts From A Diva

Random images and thoughts from a misplaced Minnesota Diva trying to survive in Wisconsin.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Memorial Day Post

When I was eighteen, I was living in Pendleton, Oregon. I was living with my sister-in-law and my two nephews. It was a fun time and Tracy and I got along great. I was working part-time for KWHT as a night time disc jockey.

My father was visiting from New York. I don't remember why he was there, but he had come to visit. And being a normal father, he kept saying over and over to me, "What are ya going to do with your life?" I was getting pretty sick of hearing it, so to get away from him I had been spending an inordinate amount of time with the Navy recruiter. My brother had been a sailor, but other than that, I really don't know why I spent so much time down there.

Anyway, unbeknown to my father, I took an overnight trip to Portland and had my physical and joined the Navy. I was a stupid little girl and had no clue what I was in for. I joined without a job; all I knew was it would have something to do with airplanes.

So I was prepared the next time my father asked me what I was going to do. He about fell out of his chair when I told him I was leaving two days later for boot camp in Orlando, Florida. I think that is the only time I have seen my father speechless. I was supposed to take the bus to Portland to catch the plane for boot camp. Instead, my dad gave me a ride.

I will never forget the look of pride on his face the day he dropped me off at the motel in Portland. It was almost as great as the look on both of my parents' faces the day I graduated boot camp.

The decision to join the Navy was one that took me a few months, but the pride I have in serving the USA in that fashion is something that will live with me for the rest of my life.

To all the veterans out there...thank you for all you do and have done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home