gsp Thoughts From A Diva: The N Word

Thoughts From A Diva

Random images and thoughts from a misplaced Minnesota Diva trying to survive in Wisconsin.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

The N Word

LZ Granderson is a writer for ESPN. He is articulate and well-educated. And after reading the above article, I am now a fan.

He discusses the use of the N word by black athletes and rappers. He asks them to stop using it because it keeps the country divided.

I agree.

I have only said that word once. When I was in grade school, the movie "Roots" came out. Anyone remember that? It was a powerful, moving experience. My entire family sat around the television each night to watch the story unfold over several nights.

In that movie, the N word is used frequently. So one night I had a question and I used that word. I have never seen my mother so upset. I thought she was gonna wash my mouth out with soap.

She then explained that it is never to be used. It is worse than a cuss word she explained to me because it made someone feel inferior and that is never a good thing.

I have never used the word again. And I do not allow its use in my house. I have also banned the word faggot.

They are both derogatory and inappropriate for any situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home