gsp Thoughts From A Diva: Christmas songs

Thoughts From A Diva

Random images and thoughts from a misplaced Minnesota Diva trying to survive in Wisconsin.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas songs

A friend of mine was talking about Christmas Carols they remember from their childhood.  As they reminisced, it reminded me of one of my favorite childhood memories.

When I was in elementary school, the school staff gathered in all of the students in the gymnasium for a special concert.  They seated us on the floor in a large circle.  We were all excited trying to think who it could be...but all we could see was the custodian standing in the middle of the circle.

Suddenly, he started to sing.  And sing beautifully.  Here was this old (to a bunch of grade-schoolers anyway) man that looked like he could barely stand up singing 'O Holy Night' without accompaniment of any musical instruments.

I think that is when my love of classical music started.

I do not remember that man's name, but I know we all sat there in silence through the entire song.  And we talked of little else for days afterwards.  Later in the school year, this same man and the librarian would show us all how to Jitterbug.  Amazing stuff.

I wonder if anyone else from school remembers that day?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home