gsp Thoughts From A Diva: Patriot Day

Thoughts From A Diva

Random images and thoughts from a misplaced Minnesota Diva trying to survive in Wisconsin.

Sunday, September 12, 2004

Patriot Day

So, what did you do on September 11? I did what a good American should do.

I went to a truck show.

The proceeds all went to Toys For Tots. There was a truck pull with no prize money. Just bragging rights.

I have pics that as soon as I get them developed, I will post them.

At the beginning of the pulls, the announcer read an e-mail from one of the drivers that had been sent to Afghanistan. It was a beautiful, touching letter about the good the Americans are doing there.

He received a standing ovation.

Then the Marine Corps Color Guard brought out the flags. We all stood as the announcer started to sing the National Anthem. No music, just his voice, which was soon joined by almost 3000 more voices as we all sang with him.

I don't think there was a dry eye in the house.

Then they dedicated the pulls to another young driver who lost his life in the last year. Cancer I think.

Another standing ovation.

We saw lots of great pulls. And no one broke, so they can all still go back to work today. Did I mention there are all working trucks. Not just trucks made specifically for pulling. Pretty cool.

At the end of the night, they turned off all the lights on the track and the trucks circled the track with nothing but their chicken lights on.

It was sooooo cool!!!!

And as they were circling, they played trucking songs and patriotic songs. Everyone sang along.

I have never felt more American.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home