gsp Thoughts From A Diva: Explanations...

Thoughts From A Diva

Random images and thoughts from a misplaced Minnesota Diva trying to survive in Wisconsin.

Friday, July 02, 2004

Explanations...

I don’t want anyone to think I am prejudiced.  I’m not.  I have nothing against people of a different race, color or creed.

 

Some of my best friends are black.  I have dated black men, white men, red men…all types.

 

But each one of them were articulate and well-educated.

 

I know I am saying this all wrong.  And last time I tried to clarify my thoughts on this matter, I had people take issue with what I was saying.

 

When I was in the Navy, there was a young man that I worked with named Bill.  He was about 20 and from a nice Baltimore family.  He was very courteous to everyone and if he had an accent of any kind (other than a Northeast one), I never heard it.  I never heard him use the word nigger.  He was a lot of fun and I enjoyed his company immensely.

 

On the other hand, there was Pittman.  He was about the same age, from Cleveland.  He could not say a nice word to anyone.  He and his buddies would hang around and molest anyone that walked by.  There was a whole group of them that hung out together.  They spoke that street slang and talked like they had crap in their mouths.  I hated working with them.

 

When I was in high school, I lived near an Indian Reservation.  People used to tell us not to date the Indians.  That they were awful.

 

Well, yes, some of them were.  All they wanted to do was drink.  And smoke weed.  And get into fights whenever possible.

 

But there were others that were kind, loving people.  The first love of my life was an Indian from that Reservation.

 

And yes, I know there are people like that from every race.  And not just men.  Women are just as bad.

 

It drives me nuts when I see guys of any color walking around with their pants around their ankles.  Do they think that is sexy?  It’s not…it’s stupid.  Or when I hear anyone talking in that stupid ghetto slang.  We all took English in school.  Why didn’t you pay attention?

 

I have probably pissed a few people off with this post, but I can’t help it.  This is the way I feel.  I just want to scream at all those people to GROW UP!

 

1 Comments:

At 7/02/2004 2:49 PM , Blogger Scooter Deb said...

I completely understand... what I think might "set people off" (if at all) would be starting off by saying you aren't prejudiced, because then they completely ignore everything else you say... because they think you are trying to justify why you aren't. I think if you left everything else, and removed the disclaimer, then people would think you're just making an observation. Otherwise, it "must" be something about you...

Nutty blog readers!! =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home