gsp Thoughts From A Diva: Where were you on 9/11?

Thoughts From A Diva

Random images and thoughts from a misplaced Minnesota Diva trying to survive in Wisconsin.

Saturday, September 06, 2003

Where were you on 9/11?

This was something I posted on my old blog a week or so again, but I thought it was worth re-posting here.

************

I was in my bedroom in Stacy, MN. P was with me and we were getting everybody up and ready for the day. Suddenly, L knocked on the door and said a plane just his the WTC.

My first thought was a small plane like a Cessna. No big deal. Some idiot just lost control. Then Lucas knocked again and said it was really bad. The building was on fire.

At that point, P & I went into the living room to see what was goin on. I can clearly remember the feeling of horror I felt watching those towers fall.

When the first one fell, I started to cry. when the second one fell, I was inconsolable. P just stood there with his arms around me.

I can remember all three kids asking me what it meant. I didn't know what to tell them. Just that it had to be a terribe accident. It was definitely a tragedy.

For the next couple of weeks, I had to drive from Stacy to Owatonna, through the Twin Cities. It was so spooky driving through the city and not seeing any aircraft. Sometimes I would see a military jet, but mostly the skies were empty.

I will never forget that as long as I live. There are a few memories I have like that. Days that will live in my mind forever.

The day the Hostages were released from Iran. I was in the 7th grade and onstage during drama class rehearsing a play. They let school out for the day.

The day Diana was killed. I was sitting alone in my living room in Carson City, NV. I was watching some stupid movie when they cut into it and told us she was killed. I can remember just crying for hours.

The day of the big earthquake in Northridge, CA. I was working at the sugar plant in Nyssa, OR. I was standing in the lab listening to the World Series when the quake happened. Scary stuff.

Amazing what you remember, isn't it? What will my kids remember? I hope they remember more enjoyable things

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home